5.4.11

LET THEM EAT CAKE!



So this weekend just passed I baked a big chocolate cake for my mum and gran to celebrate Mother's Day. I used a mixture of two recipes, the sponge part of the cake was a Nigella recipe from her wonderful book "Feast" and the dark chocolate ganache was a delicious but simple recipe by Martha Stewart.

I'm no experienced baker what-so-ever and I claim to be nothing but a novice in this area, but this was one seriously delicious cake and what started off as one quite large layered cake has all but vanished, with only a few pieces left! I think that it has actually improved in taste after sitting overnight, it seems inexplicably more moist, so if you were planning to try Nigella's Devil Food Cake Recipe, I would probably suggest to allow time to leave it to sit for a while.

I opted not to make the frosting that Nigella made purely because I was quite keen to try the other recipe, but I am sure that it would turn out beautifully too. It looks as though it would be lusciously sticky and rich, where as the ganache I chose from Martha Stewart's website sets a little firmer, it cuts like butter basically and melts in the mouth!


Images © Hollie Reid, 2011

6 comments:

  1. Delicious! I love Nigella Lawson. Have one of her recipes for toffee in my mobile, and I really ought to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks YUMMMMMY! I've given up chocolate for lent, but I would kill for a slice of this cake, such a sweet idea :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was yum, im having some more later

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made me so hungry for cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yum, that is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh my goodness.. I HAVE to make this. yumm.. thanks for sharing this delicous recipe with us:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for deciding to leave a comment. I'll always try to reply as soon as I can and check out your blog in return!

Related Posts with Thumbnails